On January 1st, 2020 Glide Consulting turned 5 years old!
This is a HUGE milestone for me. I'll be celebrating in a number of ways in January and one way is going to feature a very special episode of the Customer Strategy Podcast where a good friend of mine will interview me and you'll get to hear stories and tales that I've never shared publicly before. More to come on this in the next few weeks.
At this time of year, I always like to spend a little time reflecting.
I hope you are able to do the same as you seamlessly transition from 2019 to 2020.
Here are a few highlights from 2019 and a look ahead to 2020.PULSE
- One of the biggest highlights of my year every year. I had the opportunity to present "What's your #1 Customer Retention Killer?" and received a top 2 presenter rating! In 2017, I was #1, 2018 I was a top 10 and 2019 a top 2. I'll be pushing hard to stay at the top in 2020.Company Event Speaking
- In 2019, I did more speaking engagements than in any year prior. This is a great thing for a few reasons.
Strategy, Coaching, and Training
- First, I love to speak, engage audiences and inspire teams all while helping to support the vision of the leader that brings me in. Each time, I created a custom presentation based on my client's situation to ensure that my message would be received loud and clear.
- Second, seeing companies willing to make an investment to bring in an outside speaker to present at their event is a great sign for our industry. Departments have more control than in years past and are actively choosing to supplement their agenda with outside expertise.
- I engaged with more clients across these three areas than any of the last 5 years. One of the reasons why I love what I do is that I get to help solve problems. This year, I helped my clients solve a lot of them and here's just a small sample:
- Developed a rock-solid onboarding program
- Rebuilt an EBR program
- Designed a CS organization from the ground up
- Tore down an existing customer strategy and rebuilt a new one in a day and a half
- Grow customer revenue
- Leadership development
- Time mastery
- Grow customer revenue
- Presenting with confidence
- CSM Elite - recently launched on the Udemy platform. This course takes existing CSMs through the step-by-step process to become Elite. Over 70 people have registered so far and it's at a 4.5-star rating.
- PEDAL - A framework for teams teaching them how to build long-term strategic relationships. One of my clients for the PEDAL training program had a team based in St. Petersburg, Russia. We did everything over Zoom and it was an amazing experience. I'm so thrilled with the capabilities we have to connect with anyone in the world today.
- One of my clients brought me in to facilitate a half-day workshop to develop their team identity. This is one of my favorite exercises because the returns that come from an aligned and committed team are extraordinary. The process is taken directly from my own experience building high-performing teams.
Launching the Customer Strategy Podcast
- One of my lifelong commitments is to share my gift of coaching with the world. I set this back in 2012 when I became a certified coach. The program I went through changed the course of my life and ever since, coaching has been an integral part of everything I do.
The Customer Strategy Podcast is a perfect vehicle to serve my commitment and let anyone in the world listen in and apply what we discuss to their situation. On the show, I have real coaching conversations with people from all different types of businesses and I help them work through their biggest challenges when it comes to their Customer Strategy. I don't know anything about the situation before we start recording and there is no script, it's as real as it gets.
All of this progress on the business front is great but it wouldn't mean much without the personal progress as well.
My daughter Synva turned 12 in May.
My son Henrik turned 10 in April.
My son Lars turned 7 in January.
I still catch myself sometimes in awe when I tell people I have 12/10/7-year-olds 🙂
My wife Annie decided to make a change and stop teaching at the Dailey Method studio (think Barre meets Yoga). Being an instructor, homeschooling the three kids and managing our lives were too many full-time jobs.
I'm happy to say that Annie is now helping me with Glide and I really appreciate it!
I'm extremely thankful for all that has happened in 2019 and am extremely excited about all that is going to come in 2020.
My vision for 2020: Leverage - let me explain
I'm going to take my 5 years of intensive, high-touch 1:1 customer work helping fast-growing businesses build world-class customer strategies and bring everything to more people and companies.
This means that you will be able to learn the strategies, techniques, formulas for success in a way that doesn't involve bringing me onsite to work with you 1:1. That option will likely still be available but the focus is going to shift as it can be cost-prohibitive for many.
What I've learned over the last 5 years is how to identify patterns that lead to problems and then come up with creative solutions.
I've seen the same problems occur over and over and over again.
It doesn't matter if it's an early-stage startup, a $20M, a $50M+ business, the patterns are there.
I've refined my strategies and approach to solving these problems in the most effective way possible to ensure that my clients are able to grow customer revenue.
That is what I commit to bringing to you in a variety of new engagement models in 2020.
Happy New Year to you and cheers to a great 2020!
Nils and my whole family 🙂
P.S. Stay tuned for a brand new Customer Strategy Podcast episode next week!